Our Life

Our Life
Wordle of the last 8 months

Thursday, September 25, 2014

Goals for Zachary 2014

Issue:  TEMPER
Solution:  Respond calmly and slowly.  
Don't jump up and respond either negatively or positively. In the past I've stood up suddenly with a stern look on my face, trying to let him know that I mean business. My new policy is to move slowly and calmly.

When he gets angry and lashes out verbally about something, say, "Ok, thanks for telling me you want a drink. Next time you can just say, 'I want water.'"  If he is lashing out in a way that harms other people or property, I just physically restrain him and explain that I can't allow him to to hurt others until he calms down.  While I'm holding him, I sometimes give him gentle squeeze on his arms, legs, and head, and he really likes this. It acts as a tension reliever or something.  I can't explain it, it just works.

Zach has a strong need for approval and affection, and heaping the love on him goes a long way in preventing any challenging behaviors.  Also, check out this video on intense energy by the good folks at the Autism Treatment Center of America (home of the Son-Rise Program):  



Issue:  Poor sleep leads to poor behavior during the day
Solution:  Make sure Z is getting enough exercise.  A couple hours at the playground each day help him sleep better at night.  Better sleep makes him a happier kiddo.

Issue:  Limited language
Solution:  encourage talking
When he gets angry and lashes out about something, say, "ok, thanks for telling [screaming at]me. Next time you can just say, 'I want water.'" This encourages talking.  

Zach generally talks with the sole goal of getting his needs met. He's almost 5, and it would be nice for him to branch out and talk about other things.  While playing and reading stories we can say, "which do you like better?  I like this one better because he's blue."  

He's not interested in reading stories right now, but it's ok to approach him once or twice a day with a story and see if he's interested.


Issue:  Doesn’t follow directions
Solution:  Use playtime to make “suggestions” that eventually will evolve into directions.
“Zach, let’s jump on the pillow instead of the sofa!”  “Can I have a turn?”  “How about if we...?”

Issue:  Learning patience
Solution: Make a game out of sitting quietly with the timer.  Start with one minute, then two, then three...

Other ideas??

Issue:  Rigid and inflexible, doesn’t like change
Solution:  This is the first week ever that Zach has voluntarily worn a shirt without a face on it.  We are getting there, I guess we'll just keep encouraging him to step outside his comfort zone.



No comments:

Post a Comment