Our Life

Our Life
Wordle of the last 8 months

Friday, September 19, 2014

"So how's it going?"

That's what they ask. Followed by, "I don't know how you do it."

It's going OK.  We are on day 12 of GAPS.  I am spending as much time one-on-one with my special children as I can, while trying not to neglect my other other children.  There's just no way to do it all, but I'm cool with being a failure.  At least I'm trying.

I've seen some super-postive things happening with my kids.  First of all, the last two days, Karis has gone out of her way to seek me out.  Months ago she would disappear into her room and we would never see her again,  now she wants me to be with her and play with her.  I think that's wonderful.  She is also talking to me.  Granted, all she says is, "Percy...Thomas...Thomas...Gordon...Thomas...Percy..."  but at least she's talking!  So I just respond, "Thomas is the #1 blue engine, isn't he?  Percy is his best friend.  What color is Percy?  Percy is GREEN."  I am really so overjoyed.

Zachary's tantrums have really decreased.  A couple of days ago he found some butter in the refrigerator that he wanted to eat, so I took it away.  He began slamming doors, which is usually the way he starts his 1-2 hour long tantrums.  I matter-of-factly said (according to Son-Rise Program principles), "Zach, thanks for telling me that you're mad about the butter," and he instantly stopped.  I was floored.  I've been reading books on "the explosive child," and "the child with intense emotions," and "the strong-willed child" and haven't made a dent.

Now, it is common for his tantrums to ebb and flow, so we could just be in a down phase right now.  Still, I'm pretty happy with where we are.

I feel like there's so much more I want to do in our work.  I'd like to type up some forms so we can keep better track of her eye contact and vocabulary.  We have a few dietary issues I'd like to take more time troubleshooting, and I haven't entirely resolved our sleep problems.  I'd like to do more reading to be a more effective at facilitating in our play therapy.  That all takes time, though, and I can't just ignore the kids while I go off and read.  I'll just have to squeeze some time in after bed time, I suppose.


No comments:

Post a Comment