Our Life

Our Life
Wordle of the last 8 months

Monday, September 15, 2014

Gut and Psychology Syndrome

http://www.gaps.me

 So this is what we're doing. A grain-free, sugar-free, lactose-free diet. Zachary will eat pizza 3 times a day if you let him, and I'll be honest, there are days I let him. If his tummy is full, his behavior is so much more bearable, but sometimes he goes days without eating, and then we get trapped in this ugly downward spiral...

 While I was at the Son-Rise Workshop, one of the facilitators declared, "No autistic child has ever starved himself to death." So I just had to believe (and it was really, really hard) that my children would not be the first to do so. I'm not going to lie, it hasn't been easy, but they are finally in a good eating schedule.

 The diet is very restrictive in the beginning (only boiled meats, boiled veggies, and broth) and then more complex foods are gradually added.We've had a lot of hiccups, so I feel like I have to keep resetting the clock back to day 1 every single day. Today Karis ate a pencil eraser. I'm pretty sure that violates every GAPS principle out there. I guess tomorrow will be day 1 again.

No comments:

Post a Comment